[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CA smog rules

John writes:
<snip>
In particular, i was wondering how soon i would have to face inspection
after bringing the carto CA and how much I could expect to pay to get it
smog equipped. i was told that basically none of the smog equipment is in
place right now.

BTW, the cars are currently CA registered.

John:

I'm by no means an expert, but Ca has little grace period in notifying DMW
of the transfer of ownership....5 days, I believe, with penalties imposed
after 3 days, as determined by the bill of sale. The actual test and
certificate can run $35.00 or so, I use coupons and get it done usually for
less than $20.00.

Obtaining the smog equipment for the 76 is very expensive, I'm told, and
may be a big factor in  determining the worth of the car...the 72 may be a
better deal overall.  In CA, BTW..the SELLER is responsible for giving you
a current smog certificate  (less than 30 days old).  The fact that the
car(s) are already CA tagged, is a plus.  I'd consider making the deal
contigient on the seller providing a valid smog certificate...makes the
deal alot cleaner, I believe.

Regards,

Jeffrey
BMW ACA