[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <02> CA smog rules

john tyson franklin <jaybee@domain.elided> writes:
>I found a good deal on a '72 2002 in Michigan but i'm concerned about
>meeting smog regulations when i return to CA later this month.

It's my understanding that ALL original smog equipment must
remain on the car to be smog legal.  In fact, I had to add
a NOx box to my '67 Mustang to keep it legal, even though
it was not original equipment!

If the car is registered in CA now, then bringing it back
shouldn't be an issue.  If it was registered outside of CA,
then there's some large fee ($300?) to bring a car into the
state plus the usual reg. fees.

>I am also considering a '76 and I understand the rules are
>more stringent for the post '75 vehicles- TRUE?

I think you're talking about the difference between '65 and '66.
When I bought my '67, the rule was any car 25 years old or older
was smog exempt.  Meaning that you only needed to get a smog check
when the title was transfered.  Then the state changed it from the
cars age to the model year.  Now, model years '65 and older are smog
exempt and model years '66 and newer need to be smog checked every
two years.

           Good luck!
               Larry.
Lawrence R. Schwarcz, Software Design Engr/NCD      Internet:  lrs@domain.elided
Hewlett Packard Company                               Direct:  (408) 447-2543
19420 Homestead Road MS 43LN                            Main:  (408) 447-2000
Cupertino, CA 95014                                      Fax:  (408) 447-2264
Internal-only WWW: http://hpisrhw.cup.hp.com/~lrs/homepage.html
O-
             Copywight (c) 1996 Elmer Fudd.  All wights wesewved.