[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> Distrib cap removal

> >Hi
> >when I used to change the rotor and cap on my E30 I used to take the
> fan
> >off...and I see some do some don't on the E24/28. Is is possible to
> just
> >take the shroud off and fiddle a little. I just want to avoid buying a
> 32mm
> >wrench from sears right now...
> >Thanks
> >Blair
> >
> >Blair E. Robertson
>
> Blair, assuming we're talking an E28 with the 3.5l engine.. the answer
> is NO. You gotta take the fan/shroud off.. just can't do it otherwise.

Not true. I just replaced the cap and rotor on my '86 535i without removing
the fan. I had to buy a 1/4" drive socket wrench (the one with the t-handle
helps, but is not needed) to use directly with my 8mm socket (or was it
10mm?) and use my open ended wreches too (1/12 turn, flip wrench, repeat). A
minor pain, but less work than dealing with the fan.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp
Denver, CO

E28 Home Page - http://members.aol.com/BMW535i86