[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E12> Turn Sig. Switch Access

Olav Berthold said:

> the turn indicator does not return into neutral position
> after a turn, and the lock for the steering column often
> does not engage ... I don't know how to get to the turn
> indicator switch or the ignition lock ... the upper part
> of the steering column is a huge piece of casted metal
> (no plastic !!).  It seems that you have to remove this
> piece somehow to do the repairs.

If the turn signal switch not cancelling were the only problem,
the first attempt should be to adjust the switch position.
This can be done most simply by removing the steering wheel
(gently pry out roundel emblem, note orientation of wheel on
shaft, remove nut, remove wheel) and loosening the two screws
which hold the turn signal switch.  Usually it is sufficient
to move the switch _slightly_ closer to the wheel, then
reinstall the wheel to check the adjustment.  It may
take several iterations to get the correct adjustment.
If the switch is worn out, no amount of adjusting will make
it work correctly.  I think the replacement switches are of
a different design (plastic parts instead of metal) and work
better and last longer.

Since Olav has trouble with the steering lock as well, it
will be easier to remove the steering column lower cover to fix
both problems.

  1. Remove six screws from lower instrument panel trim.
  2. Pull trim out.
  3. Unplug wires from electric window circuit breakers.
  4. Remove three screws from lower steering column casing.
  5. Pull adjustment lever down.
  6. Remove lower casing.

The top casing can stay in place.  The turn signal switch
can be adjusted with a right-angle screwdriver without removing
the steering wheel.

The lock will be visible.  The electrical portion can be removed
by removing a set screw.  It may help to spray some lubricant
on the mechanism through this opening.  The lock mechanism
is subject to wearing out, and so it may be necessary to
disassemble it and replace the worn parts.  This is a bit
uglier, because the headless security bolts must be drilled
out and replaced.

Curt Ingraham
ingraham@domain.elided