[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E36 Alarm Falsing (Alpine model#82111469444)

Just thought I'd update everybody on where I am at with
the alarm problem on my M3.  I have talked to BMW NA again
and they are no closer to figuring out what is going on.  So
here is a recap of what is known.

The alpine alarm model #82111469444 installed in E36 3 series
will spontaneously go off.  According to BMW this complaint is
most frequent on convertables, but I know of people with this
problem on M3's, 318's and Z3's...This happens most frequently at
night (thus ensuring you get no sleep and that your neighboors get no
sleep).  I have received email from two people who have witnessed
the alarm actually go off - one during the day while he was near
his car and one who videotaped it...  The LED most frequently will
indicate the glass breakage sensor has triggered the alarm, although
I have once had it indicate the hood/trunk sensor.  If your alarm
goes off and you want to know which sensor triggered the alarm look at
the little LED flasher in the console.  3 flashes = glass breakage sensor,
2 flashes = hood/trunk sensor, 1 flash = door sensor.

BMW's current fix as per BMW NA is to "set the control module to the
superlow setting, dip switches 1&2 set to the on setting.  Do not replace
the alarm control module for this complaint".   This does not fix the
problem but may reduce the number of times you are woken in the night from
3 or 4 to 1 or 2.  I was told by the service advisor at my dealer that
they were instructed to make a list of people with this complaint.  I
have also been offered twice (and have the offer still open) a refund
on the alarm (purchased at time of sale of the car).  If I ever find
time I intend to look at alarm alternatives and may take them up on the
offer.  I think BMW NA is sick of my calling to see if they have a clue
about what is wrong yet... (I wonder what they would do if we all called
them up demanding a refund at the same time....)

Sorry there isn't more usefull information...

Dave Cohen
davidc@domain.elided
'96 M3 3K
'90 Ford Taurus SHO 139K