[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

225/50/15's on E30

Jay,
You did not specify what size wheels you intend to use. I used to have
225/50/15's on 15X6 wheels on my 87 325is with stock suspension(this is
the narrowest wheel that you can use with 225's) and never had a problem.
the same wheel/tire combination was transferred to to my 86 325es with no
rubbing but, this car has a Hartge/Dinan/Bilstein/Boge/M-sport
suspension and is lower than stock. I mounted BFG R1's on the same wheels
(225/50/15) and found that they rub the rear fender lip, persuasion with
a sledge hammer fixed the offending lip, no rub. Sooo... the most 15"
wheels are 7" wide and this will not work on a E30 with 225/50/15's, you
will get rubbing on the front between the strut and tire, and on the rear
with fender lip and during hard cornering, back of the tire and inner
fender wall.
Unless you want to seriously modify suspension and fenders, I would
highly recommend 205/50/15's on 15X7 wheels, this is the combination I
use on the street and this tire size is widely available at a reasonable
cost.
FYI the wheel I have are 15X6 O.Z. racing 3-pc. wheels which came dealer
installed on the long deceased 87 325is.
Hope this helps
Monty Sidhu
86 325es
89 M3