[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ins. Co. is messing w/ me

MHS:   Source date is:     30-Jul-96 17:26:18 PST

Hopefully there is someone out there who can give me some good counsel on
what I should do.  Here is the situation:

I had an accident with my 87 325es(tricked out) in that my e-brake failed
on a small hill.  I came back to find my car a few houses down in
someones front yard tweaked up on a brick overlay.  Come to find out
through my reputable BMW mechanic whom I have worked with for a while
that there is a lot of undercarriage damage and a little bit of body
work(front spoiler and left fender).  $4500 was the estimate for repairs.

With a $1000 deductible I thought that I would eat that and my insurance
co. would take care of the rest. Not the case.  They claimed the car a
TOTAL loss.  Meaning that the repair cost of the vehicle was 80% of the
actual car value minus mileage. NO WAY.  Not with all the upgrades on the
vehicle.

So the insurance co. is telling me that they will not pay for repairs but
rather give me an absurd check for the vehicle.

They also said something about if I wanted to keep the vehicle they would
probably pay a third of the repairs.  Something to do with the actual
value of the car minus the salvage value.

The upgrades alone on the car are above what they would cut a check for
so how do I debate this and come out OK.  Any knowledgable advice would
be helpful. Thanks.  If you want you can e-mail me direct at:
bjb%meguiars@domain.elided

- -Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds
because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
James 1:2