[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rear spring removal

The recent thread concerning rear spring removal  included the hint to
drop the differential to achieve the add'l clearance required without
placing undo stress on any components.  This is good, quick method to
use but without a floor jack or other device, the weight can be
cumbersome.  Also, whenever "dropping" or otherwise removing
significant supporting bolts, brackets, or the like, inspect them carefully
and replace as necessary.  I always replace and upgrade whenever
possible - bolts are usually pretty cheap.  The following hint works well
on E30's.

Instead of disconnecting the diff., disconnect the rear axle by removing
the six (6) bolts (again, on E30's) between the inner CV joint and the diff
output flange.  The trailing arm now drops down without stressing the
CV joint.  If the springs don't or can't slip out, use a lever to slightly
compress them as follows.  Slip the lever (pry bar,  crow bar, whatever)
through the springs about 1/4 of the springs length from the bottom coil,
place the end (fulcrum point) upon the subframe (pad to be gentle), and
compress the spring upward until it can be slipped off of the trailing arm.
Your replacement springs will probably slip in with no compression IF
they are aftermarket since they will probably be shorter.  If not, the
above method can work as well.

Finally, my thanks to Rick Kjeldsen, of FAQ fame, for describing the
above procedure to me.  Now, if I can just figure the front end out.