[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fuel system problem?

Hi, everyone:

My 88 E30 325i (currently with 117,000+ miles) simply stalled in the middle
of the street while I was accelerating to change a lane.  It acted as if the
fuel was suddenly cut off.  I managed to push the car to the shoulder and
called for a tow truck.  I made a few attempts while I was waiting for
assistance without success.  It felt like the engine wanted to catch, but
died from fuel starvation.  Does that sound like a fuel pump problem to you?

Anyway, the car was towed home one hour later, and I failed to start it
again until the next morning before I called AAA for towing service - I
started the damn thing at the first twist of the key!

So I took it down to my mechanic.  After fully explaining the problem to
him, he recommended me to just keep driving it until it dies again.  He
informed me that it would be very difficult for him to diagnose the problem
if the problem does not exist.

Now, I've gotten two issues:  first one is that I have to live with a car
that could die anytime and anywhere without any warning.  Second one is that
I could someday have a stalled car in the middle of no where that I could
not even find a mechanic to fix the problem, not to mention a BMW mechanic.
 I don't think I am handy enough to fix any problem beside oil, air, spark
plug changes and minor maintenance.

Had anyone experienced something like this before?  Do you have any
suggestions?  By the way, are there anything I have to look out for when I
have my car towed?  A flat bed must be necessary for long distance towing,
right?  Please advise.

Thank you.

David Tow (an ironic last name, isn't it?)