[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E12: How do you repair turn indicator and steering wheel lock ?

Dear friends,

yesterday i tried to fix a few things on my '80 E12 5-series sedan. I was
not successful and thought that someone from this list might help. The
problems are:

- - the turn indicator does not return into neutral position after a turn and
- - the lock for the steering column often does not engage.

I already did the same repairs on a 2002 which was a pretty straight forward
job. With the E12 it definitely is not !!!

My main problem is that i don't know how to get to the turn indicator switch
or the ignition lock. This is because the upper part of the steering column
is a huge piece of casted metal (no plastic !!). It seems that you have to
remove this piece somehow to do the repairs. I could not figure out how to
do it.

If someone has any idea how to change the turn indicator switch or how to
lubricate the mechanical lock for the steering column, i'd be very happy to
hear about it ! Many thanks in advance.

Happy bimmering,

Olav