[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36> Compact Open-Air

Yesterday while my car was in for service I was loaned a 316i
Compact Open-Air (called the 'California' in the US).

As you can expect, the 1.6 engine is no powerhouse, but it is
smooth and very flexible, seeming happy anywhere from 1500 rpm
even in high gears. There are flat-spots in the power band at
about 2500 and 3750 rpm - a little hesitation. The stock
suspension is a little soft for my tastes, the steering too
light (why is it power assisted?) and the brakes over-boosted.
Nonetheless it handled very confidently (I can imagine the ti
being a wiz at motorkhana with a little work) and stopped very
well, but it's a Bimmer, what else could it do? I liked the
notchy feel of the gearbox.

The Roof: While it looks like a reversion to the Fiat Bambino,
it does not drum or flap at speed (~100kmh) whether fully open,
partially open or closed. When closed there is little or no wind
noise from the roof (there seems to be more from the window/door
frames. When open there is considerable turbulence and buffeting
at highway speeds. Around town with the roof and windows open, it
certainly did feel "open air". I imagine it goes half-way to the
feeling that Z3 and 3-series Cabrio owners are having.

Andrew West, '83 318i, BMW Club Queensland, Australia