[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bmw-digest V5 #42

	Re query from JRued@domain.elided on Isettas:
I have owned 3 Isettas, but it's been a while.

> - - Were there many manufactured and brought to the US?  The note in the window
> did say it was a USA model.

About 160K manufactured, about 8K imported to U.S.A.  They met all
emissions and crash standards applicable at the time they were imported.

> - - Are parts available for this car?

Many, perhaps most, but it ain't always easy to find them.

> - - Are they still street legal?

Absolutely.

> - - What is the top speed?- assuming a properly functioning engine.  Rather
> simple instrument panel- just a speedo

Mine topped at 52 mph straight and level.  Faster with a tailwind or
downhill.  Slower uphill or with a headwind.

> Condition of the car:  at first drive by it looked to be in okay condition.

Two recurring trouble areas, are (1) the commutator on the
starter/generator wears down where the carbon brushes contact it.  This
seems to happen between 20-30K.  It can be machined once or twice, then
you've got a problem.  A really funky plasic was used as bushings in the
shift linkage (at least three of them), and really you should fabricate a
replacement as putting in NOS is a useless act (they'll break right away).
Also beware severe rust around the battery box (under front seat), bad
cork in the petcock, bad guibos (they are on a tiny driveshaft between the
tranny and the final drive).

> - - Is a car like this worth working on?  (from a "what might it be worth when
> its done point of view")

You bet.  And fairly easy to work on, too.

> - -The owner had $2800 posted on the car- it seems high based in the condition
> of the interior and the poor finish of the exterior bodywork (the lines did
> look quite true though)

Sounds high to me, but I'm a bit out of touch with the market.  I suppose
if it was complete and functional, it might be ok.  But with a shag carpet
interior, I don't know.  Does it have a mirror on the ceiling?

Th.B. Nast
tbn@domain.elided
1967 2000CS	ex 1958 Isetta		ex Glas 1600GT
1972 2002SC     ex 1959 Isetta (x2)	ex 1800ti
1978 R100S 	ex 1963 700CV		ex R51/3
And dozens of others, come and gone.  Let me tell you about the R10 some
day!