[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M42 Engine Recall

should be considered for mandatory safety recall, Pat Donohue wrote:

   >NHTSA's primary concern is safety (National Highway Traffic SAFETY Admin.).
>The point about dumping antifreeze on the road seems valid to me, especially
>for what it does to the car behind and his windshield in the next rain.
>There is an online form to make a complaint on the same page:
>    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
>and probably if enough of you take advantage and post the same problem with
>the same risk, NHTSA can begin pressuring BMW to fix this.  Realise though
>that this is going to cost BMW some really BIG bucks.  They'll i) fight the
>recall tooth and nail, ii) pass on the costs of the fight, and iii) pass on
>the costs of the repairs.  Because of the fight BMW'll put up NHTSA will
>probably need more of a nudge.  There is already a fight with Chrysler about
>some seat belt disagreements going on now.
>- --

Thanx for the info/opinion Pat.

I checked the above site, and it is excellent, by the way.  For those who
have not visited, even contains safety related Technical Service Bulletin info.

If this was something small, like a bubbling door panel, I wouldnt even
think twice about it. (obviously, its not safety related).  But Im getting
more and more dissapointed with BMW's handling of obvious problems with
their cars that are "product problems" , even by their own admission.  And
apparently according to various Consumer Satisfaction surveys, I'm not alone.

The form found at the above website appears EZ enough to fill out.  It is
specifically designed for owners who have already had a problem.  If anyone
that has already had their profile gasket go on them, I would encourage you
to fill out the online form.  BMW needs to take responsibility when they
have a major problem with their product.  If this is the route we need to
take to get their attention, then so be it.

For those who have NOT had their profile gasket go yet (and it will, to the
tune of at least $800, probably out of OUR pockets), you can call NHTSA at
1-800-424-9393...the website states that NHTSA encourages phone calls,
whether you have already had a problem or not.  I THINK there already exists
a TSB for the Profile Gasket issue.
I've spoken with at least 3 E36 318 owners who have had their gaskets go on
them.  They all mentioned that it didnt come out in a trickle...apparently
when the gasket goes, you know it...with GALLONS of slick coolant pouring
out of the car.  Imagine that occurring on I-xx at about 70mph..if that
'aint a safety issue.....

Ron Browne
Bowie, MD
1992 318is