[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Re: A/C Valve

bobdan asks:
>[...snip...]  Someone suggested to me that there
>might be a valve that senses low pressure and prevents the compressor from
>running with no coolant?

There are two pressure switches that stop the A/C compressor running if
the pressure is either too low or too high (some systems use a single
switch that monitors both over- and under-pressure). So if there is a
leak, the A/C will not run when the pressure is too low, and if the
pressure goes up too high (as can happen sitting in summer traffic
snarls) it shuts down before exploding!

Andrew West, '83 318i, BMW Club Queensland, Australia