[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Why such a stiff clutch on M3?

Hi everyone,

I went on a test drive of a 1996 M3 Evolution (European 3.2 litre
car) with my dealer, and I was amazed as to how much stiffer the
clutch is.  By "stiffer" I mean the M3 clutch takes a lot more force
from my left foot to depress the clutch peddle.

My question: why is the clutch on an M3 so much stiffer than the
clutch on a 328 or other 3-series car?

I've not driven other sports cars (e.g. Porsches etc).  Do sports
cars in general come with stiff clutches, and if so is this merely due
to convention or image, or are there real benefits to be derived from
a stiffer clutch (other than getting more exercise in your left leg
:-)?

Thanks for any explanation.

Manavendra Thakur