[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> 3/baur/targa

sean thompson wrote
>I just saw an interesting car up on Clearwater Beach. It was An E30
>convertable but not a factory rag top. It was more like a targa. It looked
>like a hard top  conversion. there was "TC BAUR" on the B pillar. The car
>was badged ///M3 but it had no fender flares. anyone know about these? It
>looked pretty cool.

Baur is an aftermaket but official german company (?) that buys
new cars from BMW and turns them into targas. Kind of like what
Alpina does performance wise to some BMW's.

I think they did E21 323i Baur convertibles/targas whatever you call them
and also E30 323i models.

The top has panels that can be removed, and the back window area
folds down like a convertible, leaving a rollbar type piece of
steel.

It was something like 'convertibles are too dangerous, but there is a
market for targas'

The M badges are add ons, as are the fender flares etc.
I think they are all probably grey market cars in US.

hope this helps
chris pawlowicz
'89 325i