[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> brake warning light

Patrick Pexton wrote
> I had checked the car out pretty thoroughly myself, but  the mechanic, who
>is not a BMW mechanic but someone I trust,  found that the brake rotors were
>below specs.  He replaced rotors and pads.  About a week later the brake
>	lining warning light on the dash comes on.

In all BMW's since early '80's there are pad wear sensors -
front left and rear right. Basically a piece of wire in a hunk
of plastic clipped to the brake pad. When the pad wears enough,
the sensor gets worn nthrough, wire gets broken and idiot
light comes on.

It may be that the sensor was not properly replaced with the new
pads.. or it has come loose, or maybe some kludge was done
with the old sensor.

Take off the wheel and look - it might just have come unclipped
or something.

hope this helps
chris pawlowicz
'89 325i

ps. I noticed while renting a Chrysler New Yorker that it now comes
with an overhead trip/diagnostic computer.. and even new Cavaliers
come with an 'oil low warning' light. It's kind of neat that BMW has
been providing all this and way more for quite a few years..