[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Should there be a Recall?

Pat responded:
   >Gee, there is one at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov with all that under
cars/problems
>that I know of.  If you check it out, say hi to the webmaster, I love to get
>mail.
>
>- --
>Pat Donahue
>Vienna, VA
>'91 /////
>'72 MGB

As we all know, the M42 motor in 91-93 318's have a design defect with the
profile gasket in the engine, with routine failure occurring anywhere
starting at 35,000 miles.  Repair prices have been quoted between $800 and
$1000.  No recall has been issued as of yet.  My question is, what is the
criteria for the government to force carmakers to do a recall?  Only safety
related problems?  VW issued a Heater Core recall several years ago, so it
doesnt seem so outrageous that NHTSA "encourage" BMW to call a recall on
their profile gaskets.  I say if you are travelling 65 mph on the beltway
and gallons of slick coolant comes flying out under your car onto the
roadway, thats a safety issue.  Anything we owners can do to bring this to
NHTSA's attention?

Ron
Bowie, MD
1992 318is