[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Snappy comebacks to moronic questions

Angie Day appealed to the list for help in responding to the question "What
makes these cars so expensive?"

As far as the yahoos are concerned, you could say "You know, Suzie, I could
try to explain it to you, but (smile) I don't really think you'd understand."
Suzie is obviously not your best friend or else she would know what makes BMWs
such a pleasure to drive.   Perhaps she has never driven one before. . .  if
you are feeling lucky and your insurance is paid up, you could let her drive
yours around an empty parking lot, and maybe then she'd get it.

Or, you could try to answer the question by bombarding her with facts from
your owner's manual, stressing all of the safety features, comforts, paint
quality, engine specs, etc. . . . that might keep her quiet.  I bet she was
probably a bit jealous of the car (I would be too if I drove a caravan), which
helps explain why she asked a question that was sure to put you on the
defensive, or leave you at a loss for words.

My advice is to socialize with people you know you have more in common with
(i.e. an appreciation of BMWs) and leave the yahoos out of it (the car). :)

Many happy miles to you,

Joan Doyle
Prospect Researcher
Port Discovery, The Children's Museum in Baltimore
Baltimore, Maryland
jed501w@domain.elided

P.S. Thanks to Richard Welty for maintaining the list. . hope you had fun at
your reunion!