[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

need help on 320i starting

EGR_SGP@domain.elided  ASKS:

Hello everyone,
I have 320i 1983 and having too much problem starting it, it takes me about six
to seven tries before it starts, and when it start its rpm stay between 300-400
even the gas paddle is fully push down to the floor for few seconds and its
acts like it does not have gas or their is a vacuum leak.  Though when it
warms-up it runs perfect and I can start it up in first try, although after
warming it up and bring it to the normal rpm it runs fine but if I leave it for
over an
hour and try to start it, it give me the same problem.  I have new starter,
alternator, distributor cap and rotar, plugs, wires, fuel pump. Although my
fuel pump is making a humming noise, and I am sure its because of the prepump.
I did not find any vacuum leak, and my idelling rpm is also steady.  I will be
very grateful if I can get any help.

ANSWER:  THe probable cause is the check valve or fuel accumularor at the fuel
pump.  A quick way to check this,  with fire extinquisher in hand, is to loosen
the fuel line connection at the cold start valve or fuel distributor.  If fuel
does not spray out the fuel pressure is low, have someone try to start the car
and see if you get an immediate spray, if not this is probably the cause.  You
could perform this check under both conditions, when it normally starts hard
then when it normally starts well.
DON'T FORGET THE FIRE EXTINQUISHER!
Hope this helps
Bob