[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: To bra,or not to bra

>  As my M3 nears my dealer's lot (somewhere between port and here...), and I
read about fragile water-based paint, I'm revisiting a decision I made awhile
back. I remember reading that car bras do more damage than good by trapping
dirt, etc. under them and then basically scratching the crap out of the
paint as the car's engine and wind causes them to vibrate.

Yes this is very true. I have seen bras that are inproperly used do this. The
thing with bras is that you can not treat it like a permanent add-on.
Personally I only use a bra on the M3 for long trips, highway driving,
autocross,and some drivers schools. Additionaly I remove the bra and vacum/
clean it after every day that it is used to prevent scratching from dirt/dust
that quickly builds up under it. On the trip to OktoberFest last year I had
to clean the bra evey few hours when we stoped for gas. Also do not get them
wet or use them when it rains or they can badly stain the paint.

>Are they worth it?

If they are carefully used they are worth it.  Their is no easy way to
protect your paint. If you are willing to take them on and off and cean them
frequently and use them mostly for long trips they are worth it. If you are
not comitted to spending that kind of time then forget it and face the fact
that your paint is going to suffer.

As a note I found this neat stuff that you can put on the paint under the bra
to protect the areas that the bra tends to rub. It is the removable sticker
material that autocrossers use to make numbers and mount stickers. You can
buy it by the sheet from SoloTime (316)683-3803. On the M3 with the Colgan
bra I put strips of this stuff on the paint in the folloing areas:
*the fender arches where the uppermost attachment point of the bra is.
*across the middle of the hood where the wind deflectors sre on the bra.
*on the edges of the hood and fenders where the bra wraps around into the
engine compartament.

Juan Bruce
BMW CCA 95025
BMW ACA LA