[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E30 central locking problem

	Well I've been having this problem form a few months now and I
just decided to give it a DYI try these past few days.
	The problem; the car unlocks find from driver side but when you
try to lock it the car does not central lock and the push/pull lock button
only goes down half way. So I usually lock the car from the trunk. However
when I try to double lock from driver side (I have to wiggle the key in
and out a little to get it to turn the key 90 degree clockwise) then the
whole car locks.
	What I did; took off panel and moisture seal.   disconnected the
linkages.  took cylinder out and inspected.
	The cylinder has a spring on the latch that gives when you double
lock.  It seems that this spring is too soft to allow the latch that is
attached to the cylinder to push the lock mechanism down into the lock
position,or the lock mechanism could be too stiff from rust. However if I
double lock (but double locking takes 5 minutes of trying to get the
cylinder to turn(worn key and pins?)) then the latch pushes the mechanism
down to lock.
	Is this how the central locking works?:
	1. Locking is mechanical on driver side, when the selinoid driver
is push to lock on driver side via linkages, sends pulse to other drivers
to lock.
	2. Double locking is tripped by the micro switch (adjacent to the
cylinder) and this disables or locks the drivers in passenger and trunk.
But to unlock, either double or regular, it is mechanical via driver side
linkages.
	I was wondering could I swap the cylinders from the passenger to
the driver? Since the passenger cylinder seem to be in very good
condition. I also notice a switch connected the door handle (for heated
locks perhaps?) but there is no heating element on the cylinder, what
could that swithch with two wires be for?
	If the cost for a new cylinder is too much I was considering the
keyless entry unit from My320i.aol.com. since all the mechanics seem fine.

Thanks guys for your help.

    ______	Raymond M. Wong BMWCCA #132775
   /______\	'86 BMW 325es
  (OO=oo=OO)	rmw3@domain.elided