[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30 M3> clutch replacement

Jayson Berger wrote:

>Since the clutch has over 116,000 mi. I'm going to
>change it, I was wondering if something else needs to be done when we
>pull the Trans. I'm planning on ordering new parts, here's the list I
>have so far;
>Clutch Disc, Pressure plate, Throwout and Pilot bearings, Fork Pivot
>and engine rear seal, resurface the flywheel and replace with
>Red-Line fluids. Anything I'm leaving out?

Jason:

The fellows at Korman tell me that unless you are racing, the stock E30 M3
clutch is still a good choice.  It will take a lot of stress.  When you have
the gearbox out, you might also want to do the following, since the labor to
remove the gearbox and part of the driveshaft is already included in the
clutch replacement:

1.  Replace the gearbox rubber coupling (guibo).

2.  Replace the driveshaft center support bearing.

When you get a new throwout bearing, get the one with the plastic casing (not
metal).  When the metal ones go, they can send metal fragments into the
flywheel sensor and destroy the timing pickup.

Regards,
Bob Stommel
Hoosier BMW Car Club
Indianapolis, Indiana