[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E24> Rattley, gurgly

>"After getting my 635 CSi almost in top shape I have noticed a new glitch
>that sounds expensive!
>Facts:          1) The tranny makes a noise as tho someone had put
>ballbearings in it when the clutch is let out in neutral (rattley, gurgly
>type noise) "

The transmissions in my '83 533i and '86 325 make similar noises. These
noises became much more pronounced after I changed to MTL to solve (very
successfully) some cold weather shifting problems. The noise is also worse
when the car is hot. I never hear this sound on a cold morning. In my case, I
think the noise is gear rattle, resulting from backlash in the gears and
aggravated by thin trans lube. Changing to 75W-90 fluid would be a simple way
to check this before considering more expensive solutions.

PShovestul@domain.elided
1986 325
1983 533i
1980 528i