[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e28> O2 sensor

Rob Rhodes wrote,
	>I have an 87 528e with a five speed which runs rather badly with
>the O2 sensor connected.  Lots of flat spots, less power, generally bad.
>However, if I disconnect the O2 sensor everythin is grand, more power, no
f>lat spots.

>	What gives?  Am I hurting the car by disconnecting the sensor?
>(The sensor is new, by the way, and was disconnected when I received the
>car.)

Disconnecting the O2 sensor in order to investigate driveability problems is
one on the most useful diagnostic tools available to us hack mechanics. My
'86 325 also runs poorly with the O2 sensor hooked up, particularly in hot
weather, consequently it has been disconnected for about 7 years now. This is
probably hard on the catalyst since a richer mixture will cause it to run
hotter and this should shorten its life, but the improvement in driveability
is well worth that risk. BTW,I forgot to hook up the O2 sensor for this years
emission inspection, the car passed  anyway. Unlike the 325, my '80 528i and
'83 533i behave very well with O2 sensors hooked up, although it is possible
to detect a slight improvement in driveability with the sensors disconnected.

PShovestul@domain.elided
1986 325
1983 533i
1980 528i