[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

1994 325i Convertible Suspension Upgrade Questions

I own a 1994 325i Convertible and would like some advice on upgrading the
suspension system.  My primary concern is to give the car better handling
and cornering capability.

MY OTHER PRIMARY CONCERNS:

1.  Desire springs (if necessary) that will MINIMIZE lowering of the car
(due to an already low hanging AC Schnitzer front spoiler which I would
like to not have torn off when turning into any sharply inclined driveway).

2.  Do not wish to sacrifice ride quality too much more (adding 17 inch
wheels already took care of that), but am willing to sacrifice just a bit
more.

3.  Want to minimize leaning of the cars body when going around corners.

I have talked to several people for advice (all of them claiming to be
experts of course), but all of them have differing opinions.  One guy, who
actually sounded like he knew his stuff and wasnt trying to sell me
anything, told me that simply adding larger anti-sway bars to my car would
satisfy my needs without the need for replacing shocks and springs.  Is
this true?  Couldnt the addition of certain brand name progressive rate
springs also prevent the car from leaning, and not sacrifice ride quality
too much? (e.g., Ive heard Dinan springs can do this.)

Question 1:  If I dont ever plan on autocrossing my car, is there a
suspension combination I could install that would give my 325i Convertible
the desired street handling without the rough ride?

Question 2: Will anti-sway bars alone suffice for my needs or would it be
wiser to go ahead and replace the factory shocks and springs?  (Car
currently has 41,000 miles.)

Thanks!