[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E36 M3>Aftermarket chips

I am also one of the skeptical ones concerning the true increases claimed
by chip manufacturers.  During one of our club tech sessions, we were
treated to a very technical discussion of maps and changes.  They also
had a modified E36 M3 with chip, flowtech, exhaust and cams for us to
see.  They also had the chassis dyno data all plotted out over the
'stock' curve.  I suggested that since the cars were the same, expect
mine was stock, that we test them back to back on the dyno.  They agreed
and both were tested.  The modified M3 cranked out very nearly 300 bhp,
but surprise, mine produced 260 bhp.  If I had slipped in the chip and
then they tested it, they would have claimed a 20 bhp increase from the
chip.

Then came the driving impression.  This was a little limited as we were
in town, but there was a steep hill about a half mile long were we took
each other for a ride.  In the end I think the other fellow was a little
disappointed with his significant cash outlay.  There is definitely a
trade off in around town performance if you want to be fast on the track.
 Where do YOU do the most driving?  For my money, I'll stay stock, with
the possible exception of track tires.  If you really want to drive
faster, my opinion is to take the driver school.  You'll be faster and
safer.  Just watch out for red mist and keep the shiny side up.

PS to Jerry Stadulis... Did I spell everything OK?
PPS  Spray Gumout on the parts, not your hands.

- --
Mike Donahue            __________      ______
m3@domain.elided         /__________\    /______\
(301) 843-1919        (OO=[ ][ ]=OO)  [oo]OO[oo]
93//740i  95//M3      |||o^^^^^^o|||  |#|o  o|#|
Webmeister NCC BMWCCA http://www.patriot.net/users/m3/