[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Driver School Apprehension

> I'm in the same position as you are -- wanting to go to
> a driver school but imtimidated by the high speed at
> the track.

Probably most of us newbies worry about this.  I stopped worrying
after the first morning of my first school because:

1. I wasn't concerned with being slow or last; I was waving the
faster drivers around until my arm was sore.
2. The organizers (Golden Gate Chapter, BMW CCA) took extraordinary
measures to keep things safe.  Whenever something ugly did happen,
everyone was called to the pits to cool off and learn from the mistake.
3. I learned that fast can be safe and comfortable, because the drivers
around me are all following about the same path at about the same speed
and not doing anything stupid or unpredictable.
4. Once I got over the fear of it, it was a blast!

Real fear set in *after* the school when I faced average drivers on
public streets.

Curt Ingraham
ingraham@domain.elided