[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<e30> fuel delivery system problems, cont'd

Hey guys, an update. Well, for those who are not up to speed on this, I
recently swapped out the transfer pump in my 84 318i, on ly to find that the
car, after that, would not turn over anymore (whereas it did before the
switch). I noticed that both pumps took an awfully large amount of time to
pressure up the lines (over a minute in some cases, in others, never- and I
would hear both transfer and main pumps pumping). Well, I did some
diagnostice work and found:

1) looks like I may have an overly sensitive thermo-time switch. I tested it
by taking out the cold start valve- it sprayed when I first cranked the
engine over after letting it sit overnight. But then, on repeated cranks, it
would stop spraying. I traced it to the switch, where I found that voltage
from the thing would only last for less than 1 second. Could someone out
there verify that I need to change this thing?

2) fuel pressure regulator, I think is also bad, from tests I ran about a
month ago, due to fluctuating idle problems.  I would unplug the vacuum line
from the regulator, put a thumb over both open ends (line and regulator)
suck on the hose (with other end on regulator) and no apparent change in
idle speed. Oh yes, and today, I noticed what sounded like a buzzing sound,
or a hissing sound coming out of there as the fuel pumps tried to pressure
up. Again, could someone verify that this thing is really bad?

If so, looks like I need to swap both out, and I am surprised that I have
been able to drive around for this long with a bad transfer pump, switch and
regulator (looks like the only working thing may have been the main pump!).

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I can get this thing
taken car of before I start working on the driveline vibe problems.

TIA,

Tony Lin

"Fight the good fight, finish the race, keep the faith." -2 Tim 4:7