[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E28> Replacing Factory Stereo

>I'm considering replacing the factory stereo on my '87 535is. It
>cuirrently has what I beleive is a Blaupunkt cassette receiver and
>a trunk mounted amp. A few of the questions I have are:

I just did this to my 88 E30 so there are several things you need to be
aware of.  If you have the factory stereo with the sliders for bass &
treble and it has WB, it doesn't have a pre-out to the factory amp it
just takes the speaker level outputs and amplifys them.  This unit also
just has left and right outputs, so the fader in the dash divides the
signal to the four speakers.  You will need to bypass the stock fader
if you purchase a head unit with a four channel amp.  Finally, the
system uses a common ground so if you use the factory wiring, you will
need to run at least a new ground wire to each of the fronts if the
head unit you are installing requires seperate grounds for the front
and rears.

Good luck...

Mike