[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled my BMW at the Bridge...

b.l. said:
>>i was outraged to hear your chilling and heartrending story...
>>grave doubts about the safety of the BMWCCA driving schools...
>>is your car equipped with a roll cage?...
>>has an investigation into your accident been launched...

Rick responded:
>I'm not sure I like the tone of this note.  I hope it
>doesn't signal the begining of an effort to regulate
>and restrict driver's schools....
>By far the majority of people who attend them feel that
>the fun and learning we receive are well worth the risks.
>I hope noone tries to step in and protect us from
>ourselves....
>The majority of accidents seem to occur in the intermediate
>groups, with some in the advanced groups....
>I would encourage all students to seek out skid pad time after
>they have spent more than a day or two on the high speed track.

While b.l.'s post does sound somewhat alarmist to me, the point
about skidpad training is well-taken. While I have increased
the level to which I push myself and the car on the track, I
have never practiced the "both feet in" technique. I know from
my past history that instinctive reactions are not always the
best thing. I have now _practiced_ threshold braking and basic
car control enough that it has become second nature for me,
but I am not sure that I would do the right thing in a spin.
Rick makes a good point -- intermediate level drivers probably
know enough to get themselves into trouble, but not enough to
get out of a tight jam. Maybe I will sign up for that next
BMWCCA safety school!

- --Fred Beck /// '73 tii /// Boston, MA

PS: I'll be driving at the Bridge August 9-11. I will
certainly pay my respects to the BMW blood spilt there last
week. Oh yeah, I'll also try not to let myself get that
"Yea-Haw!" feeling, wouldn't want to dump my core while
driving on the track ;-)