[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E39> 528i - Insurance Costs? <long>

>To all new or prospective owners of a new E39 528i or 540i, I am interested
>to hear about your experience in insuring or preparing to insure your car:
>did your agent know about the car, its "symbol", and its cost of insurance?
> How much do you pay, for what coverage, with what deductible, where? (you
>can e-mail me in private if necessary).  What anti-theft features of the
>car can help obtain a discount?  What additional features would bring the
>price down?  Does it help in any way to be a BMWCCA member?
>
>In investigating insurance options for my euro delivery 528i, I found out
>that my insurance company (The Commerce Insurance) did not have a clear-cut
>idea of how much it would cost, and gave me very fuzzy answers.  It sounds
>outrageous to me, for a car that's been available in the US since April!
>Your feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

The information I am providing is from Metropolitan Property and Casualty
Insurance, certainly not the cheapest you can get, but they are pretty
reliable and they don't hassle you. (800) 422-4272. My E39 528i is located
in Eastern Pennylvania.

Class is 4Q80000. The class I give means the car is used for pleasure or
commuting less than 3 miles one-way, operator 55-64 years old, no operators
under 25 on policy, multi-car discount.

Symbol 19. This refers to the cost to replace parts and/or the vehicle
relative to the probability of damage. On my 325i the symbol is 22, which
is a higher (more expensive) class.

There is a 30% airbag discount, a 5% anti-lock brake discount, a 10%
anti-theft discount on Collision, and a 5% defensive driver course for
old-farts discount on everything.

There is no coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists.

Territory 14. This refers to the area in which the car is located.

Coverage:                                           Cost for 6 Months
$5,000 Medical First Party Benefits          $8
$100,000/$300,000 Liability                     $54
$50,000 Property Damage                        $22
$500 Deductible Collision                         $120
No Deductible Comprehensive, Towing   $64
TOTAL                                                     $268

Compare this with my 92 325i 4 door with 80k miles and total of $277

The pricing on the 528i might be low because there is not yet enough data
to set the correct symbol. In these cases they base the cost on the value
of the car. After 6 months you get nailed with a modest increase. This
happened with the E36 92 325i which was purchased in July, 1991.

Perhaps someone can comment on the company that insures BMW's for less
because of their safety and security features. TIG Insurance (800)
230-1400.

Ephraim Fithian     fithian@domain.elided
http://www.kutztown.edu/~fithian/
92 E36 325i 5-speed 80k,  97 E39 528i 5-speed 1k.
Previous 78 530i 5-speed 192k, 84 318i 5-speed 18k,
85 535i 5-speed 117k, 95 530i 5-speed 24k.
BMWCCA 14040, NMA member, Macintosh user.