[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28> 535 Cat. Pipes Repair

I have found an exhaust leak on my '87 535is which appears to be
coming from a crack where the front pipes join to the catalytic
converter. The best price for an aftermarket cat. is from Bekkers
in the Roundel at $350.

If possible I'd like to try and repir the crack. Can anybody tell me
are the factory cat. and front pipes stainless steel or just regular
galvanized metal? If it's stainless, then I'd need to get it TIG welded
by a skilled welder.

If I have it welded, I'm concerned that the welding could "fry" the
car's electronics. Is it enough to justy disconnect the battery or
wo0uld I be safer to remove the cat and pipes from the car and have it
bench welded.

If I end up having to replace the cat. (forget that Dinan chip or new
stereo)....I'd be curious to hear about anybody's personal experience (
fit, quiet, durability, etc) with the aftermarket catalytic converters from
Bekkers, NOPI, Rodd Sydeny or others.

TIA

Jonathan