[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Benefits of Removing Thermostat?

> From: HoodsUp@domain.elided
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 22:08:04 -0400
> Subject: Benefits of Removing Thermostat?
>
> As I sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic with my OBC temp hitting 118 degrees
> this afternoon I was daydreaming to the days when I had an RX4 in micronesia
> - - wild car but thats another story - back in the mid 70s and it was common
> practice for the dealer to remove the thermostat on delivery.  Car ran great
> without thermostat. Well its just as hot for at least 6 months of the year
> here in Florida. Since excess heat is the enemy of engine longevity and
> performance wouldnt removing the thermostat provide at least some minor
> relief and some increased performance for a car that never see temps below 70
> for 6 months out of the year. Can anyone think of any potential problems. It
> would seem from my previous experience the engine will still get plenty hot
> enough without thermostat. Im tempted to try it out.
> Bart "Hoods Up"

My understanding of modern automobiles is that removing the thermostat
will mess up the emissions and drivability of the car. Plus those
few months you might need a crack of heat, you won't get any.
My mom lives in the Carribean and they typically remove the thermostats
in their cars, BUT most people don't drive terribly sophisticated autos
there and there's NO emissions testing in the US Virgin Islands.

A better alternative is to figure out where the relay for the electric
fan is and hookup a switch to turn the fan on no matter what the temperature
of the coolant is. I have done this on my 1985 Pontiac Firebird where the
electric fan does not come on until the coolant is 238 degrees F! I have
198,000 miles on an American engine and its still going string. I
partily attribute its longevity to frequent iol changes AND keeping the engine
as cool as possible. Believe it or not I don't even have a catalitic converter
and she passes emissions every year!.

Anyhow, I would try bypassing the relay on the electric fan first.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kim Watters
E34/'95 530i/5-speed