[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Antifreeze and aluminum engines

Two notes here:

1)  As a data point, I have used Prestone in an all-aluminum 944 engine =
for 145k miles with no ill effects and no detectable corrosion.  I =
change coolant every two years.

2)  I thought I had noted once that some environmentally safe antifreeze =
called "Sierra" [or something like that] was "phosphate-free" and either =
costs the same or slightly more than the going rate for Prestone, etc.  =
And I also seem to remember reading something in a totally different =
setting where some independent lab testing ranked various brands of =
antifreeze and they actually ranked the Sierra stuff quite high on the =
list.  Can anyone add to this, or shoot it down?  I'm not 100% sure I =
remember this accurately.  I had been thinking of giving this Sierra =
stuff a shot next time I buy coolant.  Thanks to anyone who knows more =
on this one.

Kirk S
'95 M3
'88 944