[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30> What's wrong when "Antilock" light

Jay Karolyi wrote
>	After what seems like years of searching I think I've finally
>found THE car!  An '87 325is with 152K on it and in excellent shape.
>Original champaigne paint, All body numbers match, MINT tan leather
>interior, 2nd owner, and timing belt changed at 100K in 1993.  I am going
>to make an offer tonight!

Not to scare you but.. timing belt should be changed every 50k
miles. If it was left longer, it may have broke. If it broke, there
could have been lots of engine damage. Maybe fixed right, maybe not.

I would consider an unknown variable like that a $4000 (us) downgrade on
the price of the car. Hey, if you have to buy a new engine...

>	The only thing wrong with the car is that the "antilock" idiot
>light is on constantly (with car on).
> 	What does that light usually indicate?  That the antilock system
>is not functional?  Is this expensive to fix?  Dangerous?  Was the
>antilock system an option in '87 325is' or standard fare

If the light is ON all the time it means the ABS is not functioning.
It should not be dangerous (brakes still work fine) but it may or may
not cost a lot to fix. Could be faulty sensors.. flaky wiring.. maybe
it was just disconnected or blew a fuse.

Starting in '87 ABS was standard on all 325i's I think.

good luck

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i