[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cooling system upgrade for older 5

Dadbeh Rouhbakhsh <dkrouhbakhsh@domain.elided>  ASKS:

Is there a way to upgrade an older 5's cooling system, i.e. bigger
readiator, better fan..etc.. to get a cooler running engine?

ANSWER: The radiator from a later E28 5 series will work nicely.  There was an
article about 5 years ago in the Roundel as to the exact way to do this and if
someone else on the digest has this they could send it to you.
As my memory serves me the following parts were required.  1987 535i radiator, 2
sets of radiator mounting screws and rubber bushings for the top, fan shroud for
same, rubber supports for the bottom of the radiator. new upper hose and
possibly a new lower hose.
After removal of the existing radiator, chisel off the drivers side radiator
upper mount.  put car on jack stands and have a helper put the new radiator in
place of the old.  The existing brackets will interfere with the new radiator
and shroud such that some modifications will be required.  The total job should
take under 4 hours.
You might also consider relacing the auxiliary fan at this time with a higher
CFM capacity one from a local AC Supplier or Racer Wholesale in GA.  I ALWAYS
screw up at least one mounting strap so now I purchase 2 mounting kits.  The
kits are cheap, the aggravation isn't.
Hope this helps,
Bob
Many BMWs