[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E28, 24>- clutch or tranny?

Evenin' all.

After getting my 635 CSi almost in top shape I ahve noticed a new clitch
that sounds expensive!
Facts:          1) The tranny makes a noise as tho someone had put
ballbearings in it when the clutch                 is let out in neutral
(rattley, gurgly type noise)

                2) noise is not that loud, only notice it with the windows
open and the radio, AC etc                 off (or head under the car)

                3) noise disappears when clutch put in, only when it is
released by about 33% does it                 start to make the noise

                4) I earlier in the year put redline synthetic in the tranny

                5) when the engine is reved even slightly you cannot hear
the noise at all

                6) clutch does not grab, shudder, make any noise whatsoever
when changing gears, and                 feels smooth and normal- no
slipping etc. Well perhaps it grabs a little if released to
fast.

Possibilities?  1) oil to thin? car has done 145K miles and perhaps it would
be wise to change back to a dinosaur oil (perhaps that shark sitting in the
carolinas might have some). Seriously, the Bentley says hypoid 80. However
they go on to suggest 40 in there in the table. What do people sugggest to
go in there in very warm climates..(I am on the gulf coast)?

                2) release bearings
                3) nightmares occuring within the tranny?
                4) time for a new clutch- in which case it is only early
days and I can wait awhile?

Any help would be appreciated..this is a little out of my league as far as
home repairs (if they are needed past a routine adjustment) and any insight
b4 I go get ripped off by a mechanic would be useful!

cheers
Blair
Blair E. Robertson
University of South Alabama