[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fw: College Students with BMW

- ----------
 From: Steve Meade <smeade@domain.elided>
 To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
 Subject: RE: College Students with BMW
 Date: Thursday, July 18, 1996 9:45 PM

 >It may seem funny to us by the loss of the students BMW but wait. Ephraim
 >did not elaborate on what type of BMW or Vintage the student had but I
 would
 >have to assume that it was a newer BMW.
 >
 >The funny part was that the father gave the son and I repeat gave the son
 >BMW at all. It seems to me that the father was the stupid one to give it
 too
 >the son while in college. What ever happened too, "if you want go out and
 >buy it son thats great but not on my nickle", "I heard they were
accepting
 >applications for food bagger at the grocery store son".

 	I don't the preceding statements are completely accurate. I am a
 high school student with a BMW. And yes, my father bought it for me when
 I was 15 and I have driven it since (now almost 17). I don't think it was
 stupid
 at all. My father received a 1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 Ram Air as a
 graduation
 present from his father. The car was new at the time. Between studies and
 extra-curricular activites I have little spare time. My parents have never
 given
 me money for my grades or any sort of frivolous presents. (OK, so I got a
 Deskjet 855C after I won my first gavel at a Model UN conference) The fact
 is, because of my position with my studies, saving for a car would be a
 futile
 effort. But my parents still (and continue to) hold it in front of my fave
 like a
 carrot in front of a donkey. Where I live, it is not uncommon for parents
 buy their children new cars. That is a little out of line. I have friends
 with
 new Camaros, Mustangs, Probe GT's, and Pickups. A girl I know has an
 '87 M635 red with the gold BBS 3pc rims. I don't my parents felt I worked
 hard in school and would continue to work hard. That is the part I don't
 agree
 with. The part of the above phrase that I do agree with is the job part. I
 did
 go and get a job at the local grocery store bagging groceries. The store
 went
 out of business 6 months later. Now I am a sales / technical / html
 "person"
 for an Internet Service Provider. All maintenance and future upgrades are
 paid by me.

 >I make these comments as a student (Mount Royal College, Applied Small
 >Business and Entrepreneurship Degree 3rd year) and a son. I have seen way
 >too many kids (I guess I'm one but i don't feel like it) get a new car
and
 >abuse it and then crash it and expect another one it's place along with
 the
 >higher insurance rates paid for them. Oh yeah I might not have applied at
 >the grocery store but I bought my car with money I earned.

 	I don't abuse it. (washed every week -- atleast) I don't  crash
 it. (I've had a year and a half with no "incidents" or speeding tickets).
 I'm insured fully but I if it's my fault and I was doing something stupid
 than
 I definitely don't expect any sympathy (emotional or monetary) from my
 parents. My dad is the type of person who wouldn't bail me out of jail
 and would let me "see what it's like" for a night or two.

 >Ephraim you should think about rephrasing this comment to justify your
 true
 >meaning.
 ><This is an example that could be emulated elsewhere ;-)>
 >
 >Oh Well,
 >Age 19 and loving every moment of it (the car and my vintage)
 Age 16: Old enough to have priviledges -- young enough to enjoy them.

 >Fraser Stanley-Jones
 >83 533I (204,000km)
 >Calgary Alberta

 Steve Meade