[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<02> Stub axle question, some misc comments

     I've got this problem with stub axles and flanges wearing out on me. The
splines get loose after about 2-3 years. I've got a 75% limited slip in the
differential let over from my wild and crazy auto-x days. I know the limited
slip put added stress on the parts. My question is this, are there harder
Rockwell stub axles/flanges out there. Does the Tii part has more strength,
how about 320I (E21)?? Not having studs no big deal. I think I'll try some
slippier gear oil to loosen up the diff. Any other thoughts?? on a way to
make them last. I know about the massive torque needs for the nut, and I
tighten the sh_t out of it whenever I have it off.
     This weekend I went out to watch the NW Region SCCA Pro Solo and meet a
couple of digesters,
Bob Tunnell and Carl Buckland. Bob's M3 in A Stock was just soooo close to
winning. He's a very smooth driver but had a little bobble on his last run
and a local very hot shoe just beat him out. I missed Carl's runs but it was
great to meet him, strange he didn't recognize my name but sure did with my
email handle. Bob and Carl had a good time with our great weather and I hope
their drives back go OK.
Bob said that the Montana  police are saying anything over 80mph isn't safe
and prudent. So beware.
The digest's web site will be a pleasant solution to the commercial
/non-commercial question and a better way to access the FAQ files.
      Keep it at the redline 'netters
                                            Greg Mierz
                                     GregM2002@domain.elided
                                         Roster Manager