[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E28 quirk

I have had my 535i for almost three years.  I bought the car from a
broker (first mistake) and noticed that the airconditioner allowed
water to leak into the cabin.  I queried the dealer about the water
and he indicated that this was a condition that occurred during
storage and that the line just needed to be blown out.

I heard this from many mechanics but until Mercedes Motorworks in
Tampa, FL, nothing got done.  they were able to fashion a brake line
to fit to the drain hole located directly under the tranny!!  What a
place to put a drain!!

The cabin was dry for a day, then back to spewing water on me, my
cargo, and any passenger brave enough to don their swimming apparel
for the drive.  I recently had the line blown out at another dealer
and they indicate that if the fix doesn't work I will have to have
the inner console removed, the AC system evacuated, and the
evaporator housing removed and the drain replaced!

About an eight hour job they say, $400 or so to have this repaired.
I welcome your comments on an inexpensive way to fix this malady.

Singing in the rain,

Tom

88 535i
125k