[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

318ti

>especially from the 318ti owners.  Talking stock, the ti is no match for the
>VR6 in engine power, right?  The guys at R&T liked the handling of the

I've got one.  The 1.9L is adequate and the ti is quicker than the coupe.
It is not a drag racer by any stretch.  It's got enough power to pass and
merge into traffic.  It is BMW smooth and the torque on the new motor is
pretty even through the band unlike the 84 318i I had.  I think if you get
it with the auto you will not be as happy.  Anyone have a ti with an auto?

Bad news is that OBD II has slowed "chip" development for the motor and
there are not any electronic adjustments at the moment. OBD II uses an
EEPROM. My drag racer days are over, but I assume the best initial mod would
be an exhaust.  I don't know if there are any intake parts for the the new
1.9 yet.

The reason I bought it is because of the chasis.  Roads here in Northern New
Jersey - NYC are terrible.  I wanted something that I can take on the
occasional twisties in my travels and still get a comfy ride on our war torn
streets.  BMW's really strike a great balance at this in my book.  Not many
other cars ride as well for the amount of "stick" you get (my opinion only).

>thinking about getting the ti with no active package so that I can save some
>money for the mods later on.  Any feed back?

This is the route I chose.  However, be forwarned that you give up  cruise
control - something I never get to use anyhow in my area.  If you want to
order a sunroof I think you are better off getting the active package as it
comes with part of the package and it is not that much more.  Check out
www.edmunds.com for list and dealer pricing.

Regards,
 Tim

'96 318ti black / grey interior with traction control as only option.