[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <E28> Trunk Won't Unlock

Karl Zemlin replies about my E28 trunk lock problem:
>Since I never use it, I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I
>think you can lock your trunk by turning the key in either
>direction.  If you turn it beyond some point, you override the
>electric lock and must use the key to open it.

Karl,

Thanks for the note.  I had forgotten about the separate trunk
locking "feature".   My first try at turning the trunk key in
both directions didn't work, but I think you have pointed
me in the right direction.  Something has probably gone wrong
with the separate trunk lock feature.

Since you've been so kind to help, I'll "read"  you my
528e/535i/M5 owners manual (pages 9 and 10) about the trunk
lock or luggage compartment feature.

First, the cars have two types of keys:
  1.  Master key        - Fits everything, it's all I have.

  2.  Door/ignition key - Doesn't fit the trunk or glove box,
                          so it must be intended for valet use.

The central locking system usually locks and unlocks everything
at once.  Doors, trunk, and fuel filler door all lock and unlock
together using either of the door locks or the trunk lock
(the "deadbolt" or electromechanical locking system can only
be activated from the driver's door lock).

However, the trunk can be locked separately, so it doesn't unlock
with everything else.