[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: odometer tampering

>Does anyone know if it's possible to tamper with the digital odometer
>on the late model bmw's ? Is resetting the computer possible by
>hacker types?
> Here in southern California,where i have been looking at used bmw's.
>I have seen a fair amount of analog bmw odometers indicating
>suspiciously low mileage not corroborated by the condition of the
>interior, tires, missed or scrubbed door lubrication stickers,
>previous smog certificates  etc.... If there was a bounty for finding
>tampered odometers....
>
>If the car has a digital odometer, can i assume  that is the true
>mileage because it is tamper proof?
>
>sincerely,
>
>henri baccouche

I had a similar discussion with the dealer when the guage cluster
was replaced in my E36. It is possible to connect a signal generator
to the odometer and wind the mileage to 999,999 but then the
odometer dies.

Michael Thompson     E-Mail     m_thompson@domain.elided
Schroff, Inc.        Phone      401-732-3770
Warwick, RI 02886    FAX        401-739-7599
                     WWW Page   http://www.schroffus.com