[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Cooling System Corrosion

>I am looking to buy an automatic 528e and while I was looking at a
>1985 528e with 120k miles,the manifold preheater hose broke off the
>thermostat housing.
>The alloy inlet was completely corroded.....Is this the ominous sign
>of cancerous corrosion throughout the cylinder head ? or a small issue
>of replacing the thermostat housing ? There are visible signs of
>corrosion at all the hose connections. Is cooling system corrosion
>anywhere indicative of corrosion through out the system?
>Sincerely,
>henri baccouche
><henri@domain.elided>

Hi Henri
I don't know if what I'm about to tell you applies to your
(prospective) 528E, or just to my 1972 2002 tii, but you might try to
follow it up with BMW mechanics that know cooling systems to see if
it's a problem for you.

When I bought my 2002 tii, it had not been run in a few months, and the
cooling system would overheat on almost any provocation, and sometimes
on no provocation at all.

Anyway, I figured a cooling system flush and some new antifreeze might
help.  I was all set to do it when I called the mechanic who had done
the work on it for the previous owner to ask another question
(unrelated).  I casually mentioned the problem and my intention to put
in new coolant...He (in a very panicky voice) asked me if I had done it
yet or was planning to do it. I told him I was planning to that day.
He (very relieved voice) told me that on pain of having my engine block
corrode from the inside out, I must not use Prestone or other
antifreezes made for american cars.  It seems that (on 2002's, at
least) BMW uses some metallic alloy to make their engine blocks which
is very bothered by something that is in Prestone.  BMW makes an
antifreeze ($25/gallon from the dealer) that is supposed to be safe for
these cars.  I was to use only BMW coolant!.  This mechanic had no axe
to grind in pointing me to BMW coolant, as he knew I was not buying it
from him, so I assume he was telling me the truth, as best he knew it.
Now this was for a 1972 2002 tii.  I have no idea whether 528E's have
that same problem (or even if 2002's REALLY have that problem).  IF
THEY DO, then maybe the one you looked at had been fed Prestone or
other american style coolant, and that is why it is corroded.

Ira Eisenstein