[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E23 wiring harness HELP!!!

From:	NAME: Thomas L Pappenhagen
	FUNC: CR&D
	TEL: (609) 540-3613                   <PAPPENTL AT A1 AT JLCL01>
To:	"BMW-DIGEST@domain.elided"@ESDS01@MRGATE

the other driver in our house (who shall remain nameless but who
killed my '02 two months ago and argues that she was merely with
the '02 at the moment of its death) called this afternoon and
said the 735i died on a hill.  I hustled the kids into the 528i
(a real one, an E12 - to start another mine is better than yours
thread :>) ) and went to rescue her.  When I got there she told
me there was a poof of smoke from the steering wheel.  I opened
the hood and almost cried.  The wiring harness is toast.  It
appears that the lead to the coil shorted to ground and took the
engine harness and part of the main harness with it.  The current
symptom is that the engine cranks with the key in the off
position and nothing happens with the key in any other position.
Does this mean a relay was toasted too?  No fuses blew.

So, my questions:

1) the engine harness is toast, anyone have one for a 1984 735i
euro-spec car with an OBC? (if the latter matters, it does for
everything else I try to order)

2) if the larger harness is toast (the thick dark green lead that
went to the coil has melted it's cover completely off and fused
the wires into a nasty mess), is it practical to just figure out
which leads are gone and run separate wires for these, or should
the whole harness be replaced?  This is the thick mass of wires
that goes to the interior.

3) does it sound like a relay was toasted too?  Or am I grounding
the car through the starter and that's why it cranks the engine
when the key is off?

Any advise would be appreciated (also if you have any wiring
harnesses please let me know).

...Tom

pappentl@domain.elided

'75 02 still dead in the driveway, '84 735i dead at the shop, and
luckily an '80 528i which runs and runs and runs... 197k...