[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Testing Catalytic Converters

Joe Caso wrote about testing a Cat Converter to know whether or not its
plugged. There is a "Pressure Test" procedure that most Muffler Shops can do
whereby a small hole is drilled before the catalyst section And a pressure
reading taken, then a similar pressure test taken behind the converter.The
readings are then compared for pressure differentials.There is a special
pressure guage or testing unit employed to do this. I do not have the
pressure figures but a QUALIFIED Exhaust Repair Facility will have the data.
As far as the shop who said "Tap on the Converter & listen for Looseness"
I'd find another shop. Most car owners treat the Cat Converter like a
step-child & neccessary evil (remember the 70's & 80's when everyone used to
just "yank-em" off the car?? They perform a very important job & todays cars
are tuned for their useage. The MORONIC Computers are all set for these
devices and It's just "One of those Things" we all gotta live with.For more
info on Hi-Flow Cat Converters at a fraction of the original BMW prices
please visit our WEB PAGE.

Another area "MISSED" by most drivers is the Oxygen Sensor. It too performs
a valuable service in "Signalling" the computer as to the A/F Mixture going
thru the converter. That tells the MORONIC Compute to either "lean" or
"richen" the mixture.The typical O2 sensor has an effective life of approx
50,000 miles + - depending on the fuels used, if car has been out of tune
etc etc. BOSCH says 50k is a good time to replace. There is a "TEST" done
using a Milivoltmeter & a Propane enrichment device (which most of you do
not have) to test the O2 sensor. It involves testing voltages b/4 & after
enrichment to see how the sensor reacts.

If you'd like a copy of the EXACT procedure E-Mail me direct & I'll mail to
you. For most guys its probably easier to to replace the sensor with one of
our EZ-FIT TIP KITS made by BOSCH & be done with it if your sensors got
50,000 + miles on it. A 1 Wire Sensor kit is $29.95 3-Wire is $59.96 &
newest 4-Wire is $69.95. Takes 15 minutes to replace & you're back in business.
Other "SYMPTOMS" of O2 sensor failure are 1. SURGING, HESITATION, STALLING,
& DROP IN FUEL ECONOMY.Recent figures from BOSCH reveal that 77% of cars
failed for the California Emissions Test FAILED for HC & 94% for CO
problems. 77% were "CURED" with a new O2 sensor. Its a REAL OVERLOOKED item.

HAVE A SUPER DUPER DAY !!!  Rodd Sidney
Rodd Sidney                BMW Dealer Marketing Web Page
bmwrodd@domain.elided        http://www.dzn.com/global/bmw.htm