[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Parts Buying Experience

I've been silently reading the posts regarding mail order parts suppliers and
prices and thought I'd post some more useful information for those not so
experienced in buying parts mail order.

1) Understand what you're buying.  For example are you buying a price book,
or price book with binder, tabs in place etc.  This is the only way you can
do apples to apples price comparisons.  Only you can decide if the add-ons
are worth the extra cost.  Also, BMW as well as other suppliers provide
"sets" or complete installation packages.  These are often cheaper then the
sum of the individual parts.

2) Understand the value of service.  There are a number of suppliers that I
use that consistantly give me good price discounts, but some of them I would
not trust, nor are they in the business of providing technical information.
  When I was learning, getting a part with instructions, or technical advice
over the phone, was alot more valuable then getting the part alone.

3) Establish a long term relationship.  The more you buy from a single
source, the more technical advice you will get and the less likely you will
have problems with returns, etc.

4) Shipping costs money.  I recently bought a windshield from my local
dealer.  They did not have the cheapest part price (they were also not the
most expensive either!), but the overall cost was approx 10% less than the
part plus shipping from anybody else.  I have also found this to be true for
small parts as well (I once paid $6.50 to ship a $7.00 part, but the part was
NLA and mail order was my only option).

5) Are you buying BMW, OEM or Aftermarket parts?  Parts are not parts, and
price comparing an Original BMW part to a cheap aftermarket is impossible.
 Also, make sure you are buying "current" parts.  Discontinued parts can be
bought for great prices, but if the part was upgraded, etc - you probably
want the "current" part.

6) Get references before you buy.  Join the BMWCCA, ask your friends, read
the digest closely.

Thanks for the bandwidth.  Hopes this helps.  BTW - I am not in the business,
just an educated consumer and BMW enthusiast!

Mike - 1973 Euro 2002tii Lux