[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Thrust Arm Replacement

Before I purchased my 89 735i, the dealer (not a BMW dealer) that had it had
the thrust bushings replaced.  This was ok, but the idiot mechanic that did
the work pretty much tore the boot off of the ball joint on the passenger
side thrust arm.

Since it has been over a year, I finally decided to go ahead and replace the
thrust arm.  I have the new arm (less bushing) and need to install it.  I
tried to get my mechanic to do the work, but he is swamped at the moment and
cannot get to it for a couple of weeks.

So, I have decided to give it a try.  Before I actually get into the work, I
have a couple of questions:

1.  What is the correct tool to get the ball joint unseated?  The idiot
mechanic referred to above obviously used a pickle fork, which obviously is
not the correct tool.

2.  Is is possible to re-use the thrust bushing that is already on the car?
(I have access to a complete machine shop and can pretty much guarantee that
I can get the old bushing out without damage, even if I have to have the old
arm sawed up to do it).

Any other suggestions that are relavent would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Moser