[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

E-39 528i - 2nd time charm

Just a quick report on the new E-39 528i.

My friend (not yet a list member) took delivery on a brand new E-39 528i last
month. The car is a great car but he has experienced some teething pains.

Two weeks ago his wife unlocked the car with the keyless remote and received a
big surprise. The rear passenger door lock melted in a rather dramatic
fashion.  The lock actually got so hot it melted the inside door panel! The
result was allot of smoke in the car and the car could not be started.  The
good news is that BMW roadside assistance picked up the car with a flatbed and
the dealer diagnose the problem and ordered appropriate parts. The car was
ready to be picked up 10 days later.

However the smoke smell remained in the car. Now this is no ordinary smoke
smell. Rather it's that nasty burnt vomit educing electrical smell. The dealer
tried to blow out the smell for several days to no avail. When my friend went
to pick up his car he told the service manager that it still smelled of smoke.
The service manager explained that BMW would be replacing his new car!  He
takes delivery today on the new (newest) car.

The E-39 is a great car and I'm sure this is an isolated incident. It's nice
to know that BMW stands behind their products.

Jim
95 M3